Friday, April 30, 2010

Could not open/read file: C:\sea77\client\local\sse_data.dbf

Do you get a popup error when you start up your computer that says "Could not open/read file: C:\sea77\client\local\sse_data.dbf"? If you do, I bet it takes a heck of a long time to start up your computer too. I haven't run into this problem for quite sometime, but I just got a new machine and a clean install of Siebel 7.7.6.2 (client). I run into this problem every time I make a clean install but for some reason I can't seem to remember how to fix it right away. It bothers me enough that I thought I'd post a solution to it here. It's easy.
  • In Windows, go to Start > Run, and type "services.msc" in the Run window to open your services console.
  • Find the service named "Adaptive Server Anywhere - siebel_local"
  • Right click the service and select Properties from the context-menu
  • In the Properties window, change the startup type to "Manual"
  • Do the same for the service named "Siebel QuickStart Service"
  • Click Apply, then OK
This disables the auto-startup of the SQLAnywhere server that looks for your local database. Another fix is probably to re-point your Local data source to an existing DBF file, or to drop a DBF file into the expected directory, but I don't really need this feature on startup, so I just like to disable it.
There you go. Enjoy your two minutes back at every startup.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Jason. I don't know how "back" I am. I'm working on a lot of non-Siebel stuff these days. I need a vacation -- maybe to Australia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,

    Is there a way to log into Siebel 7.7 .dbf without knowing the Enterprise name?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Svetlin: Yes there is, but you need to know the password you set when you created your extract. See this article for more details: http://siebelhacker.blogspot.com/2009/02/working-with-local-database.html

    ReplyDelete